Fetch-A-Tech is known for air conditioning and furnace installation in Las Vegas. We can also help you benefit from a smart thermostat, which lets you automatically schedule heating and cooling so your home is always comfortable. More precise temperature control enables your HVAC system to be more efficient. Therefore, “How does a smart thermostat work?” is a question our clients often have.
Basic Smart Thermostat Functions
Even the simplest smart thermostats use Wi-Fi for you to make adjustments. You don’t need to get up from the couch to adjust a dial or press a button. Instead of a remote control, you can adjust the temperature or access data/settings using your smart phone, tablet, or other device.
The thermostat is connected directly to your air conditioning and heating system’s main control. Managed via an app, it can be set even if you’re not home. You can save energy by setting the thermostat back while you’re at work or on vacation, even if you forgot to adjust it before you left. Also, you can control settings from the office, your car, or another country so your home is comfortable when you arrive.
Setting Your Smart Thermostat
It usually has a touchscreen, so setting the unit is very simple. The thermostat will be in sleep mode when not in use, to save energy. Tap the screen to wake it up and select “Heat” or “Cool” mode. Up and down arrows let you select the temperature you want. When using the app to control the thermostat, the controls are usually the same as on the touchscreen, except they’re on your mobile device. They control the system in the same way.
Smart Thermostat Features
The features may vary depending on the model that you install. In addition to letting you set a heating/cooling schedule and adjust temperature remotely, a smart thermostat may integrate features such as:
- Usage Monitoring: The control the device allows over an HVAC system can help save energy over time. Reports of system usage can be provided. These can be used to understand how your routine can be adapted to conserve energy.
- Energy Tracking: Some smart thermostats take this a step further by tracking the energy your AC or heater uses. Energy-saving presets may be available, depending on the unit. Thus, a thermostat can control your HVAC system based on how much you intend to save on your electric bill.
- Learning: More feature-packed models can learn your schedule. This means that if you often lower the temperature before bedtime and turn up the heat in the morning, the thermostat will memorize these actions and eventually adjust to your preferences automatically.
- Voice Control: Many smart thermostats let you use voice commands to adjust the temperature. You don’t even need your phone to get more cool air or heat. These units can connect to voice assistance such as Alexa, Siri, or Google Assistant.
- Automation: A smart thermostat can be added to your smart home automation system. You can create different automation setups. For example, you can set your smart lights to turn off or security system to activate when you lower the thermostat.
- Zoning: If you have a zoned system in which temperature can be controlled in individual rooms, an advanced smart thermostat can learn when each room is occupied or used most. Schedules for each can be created by recognizing these patterns.
Is My Home Set Up for a Smart Thermostat to Work?
A continuous electrical supply is needed for a smart thermostat to run. The wiring setup for an older thermostat won’t be sufficient. You’ll need a C wire to power the unit and its features. If you don’t have a C wire installed, an electrician must install one. It’s strongly recommended to have a professional handle the installation; power extenders and C-wire adapters can damage your new thermostat.
Contact Fetch-A-Tech to Learn More
Specializing in air conditioning, heating, and plumbing installation, repair, and maintenance, we also provide resources that include advice on making a home more energy efficient. Have you been asking, “How does a smart thermostat work?” and curious about how you can benefit. Book an appointment online or call 702-334-0655 today!