An air conditioning unit is designed to provide comfort by cooling and circulating air, but when it starts making loud and unusual noises, it becomes a source of frustration and discomfort. Several factors can contribute to a loud AC unit, including the age of the system, the quality of the installation or various mechanical issues.
Common causes of a loud AC unit
- Dirty air filter – When an air filter becomes clogged with dust and debris, it restricts the airflow, which can cause the unit to work harder and produce usual noises. Regularly replacing or cleaning the air filter can help reduce the noise level of the unit.
- Malfunctioning fan – A fan that is misaligned, worn out or damaged can produce a loud humming or rattling noise. In some cases, simply tightening the fan blades or lubricating the motor can solve the problem. However, if the fan is severely damaged, it may need to be replaced.
- Loose or damaged parts – For example, a loose blower motor or loose ductwork can cause a banging or rattling noise. Tightening or replacing these parts can often reduce the noise level. Fetch-A-Tech Plumbing, Heating & Air is able to complete any AC repair you may need.
- Failing compressor – A compressor that is working too hard can cause a loud AC unit noise. If the compressor is the problem, it may need to be repaired or replaced. However, before replacing the compressor, it is important to make sure that the noise is not being caused by another issue.
- Poor installation or lack-of maintenance – If the unit was not installed correctly or is not being properly maintained, it may be producing more noise than necessary. If you suspect your AC installation is sub-par, contact Fetch-A-Tech Plumbing, Heating & Air for a comprehensive inspection to discern the specific issues with your AC. Fetch-A-Tech is also able to complete regular annual AC maintenance to help prevent and identify any potential issues.
Looking for a solution for your AC issues?
Don’t put up with an overly noisy AC system. Schedule an appointment today with Fetch-A-Tech Plumbing, Heating & Air. Fetch-A-Tech employs trained professionals who can complete any AC repairs or an AC installation quickly and efficiently.